Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

On Being Beautiful





I was listening to the radio on my way to work. The hosts were talking to these two teenage girls at a local high school who were working on a project which slowly became a great initiative for young women's self-esteem.

The girls were talking about the stigma around the media and how it puts stress on girls/women to look and act a certain way. They got permission from their school principal to post positive messages on the bathroom mirrors, "You're beautiful just the way you are." 

It is all in the hope that when the girls go to check their make-up, they have a reminder that they don't need it to be or feel beautiful.

Although, having make-up is a bit of a security blanket. But that's a post for another day.

It's a bit sad though how we are so pressured to buy make-up and try so hard to look beautiful. And it's true. It is absolutely 100% posilutely true. Being a young, twenty something woman, I can totally relate.

It's funny how this realization came on my way home from a dinner I had with Mister last night.

We were talking about photoshopping heads on the bodies of Hooters girls (because who doesn't wanna be a Hooters goddess?) and  I made a comment about how he should photoshop our heads on to bodies so that we would actually have a photo of us. He came back with how he did not like his photo taken, which honestly disappointed me because I would love to have a photo of us together. Honestly. But then, I had an epiphany of sorts...if I can even call it that.

I don't like my photo being taken either....unless I have make-up on. Which I know is silly and probably preposterous, but it's true. I just feel prettier being made up. Then again, don't we all?

If Mister was here, I know he would be saying otherwise. He always says that I look pretty/beautiful without make-up and in fact, he prefers it. I often think that it is something all Misters say to make us feel good about ourselves. Like it is in the Relationships: For Men handbook or something.

I wish I had someone telling me all this through my several years of being bullied and outcast because I wasn't my peers' idea of pretty or beautiful. If anyone can relate, they would know that this does a number on one's self-esteem.

However, I grew to learn that being beautiful isn't just what is on the outside, that is only a tiny fraction, it is being a beautiful person on the inside which matters most.



To be able to feel good about yourself.

"You should feel beautiful all the time."
                                         - Mister

I think those girls are on to something.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...